Friday, December 3, 2010

Jen's First Day in Aix

Bonjour mes amis!
 
After a 14-hour journey to France, I finally arrived in Marseille.  Poor Mark got stuck in traffic (behind some huge accident) on his way to pick me up at the airport.  I waited outside for 40 minutes, hoping that I was waiting where Mark said he'd pick me up... it's hard to remember what we did before cell phones, but now I know!... wait and hope.
 
Mark and I went into town for dinner.  Aix en Provence is a very cute little town!  They have all kinds of things set up for Christmas.  I didn't see any nativity scenes (which Provence is known for), but there were a TON of merry-go-rounds.  And some really cool ones, too, that were almost like mini roller coasters.  Even Mark wanted to go on one! And of course they have all kinds of little shops set up along the street for the holiday.
 
Most of the restaurants in the town are on the main street, Le Cours Mirabeau, so they are a little pricey.  There are a lot of pizza places, though.  We went to a little place last night that had some really good pastas.  Mark had lasagna and I had 3-cheese ravioli.  So good!  Then we went to the grocery store... that was an experience!  Many didfferent things, things I couldn't even recognize what they were from the box, and an isle full of cheeses! ... part of me just wants to go hang out at the grocery store and study.  I've realized after last night how much I have forgotten!!!
Our hotel room is fine.  Nothing too special, but it's functional.  We have a little kitchen with a mini fridge, a stove and some basic cooking utensils.  I already shipped over a bunch of my utensils so I can use them if need be.
 
The weather right now is a little cool, so I might just spend today and tomorrow settling in to the hotel and go back to town with Mark this weekend (it's about a 20 minute walk from the hotel).  I'm also watching a French cooking channel to try to learn things.
 
I'm a little more nervous now that I am actually in France, but I know that my language skills will come back eventually.  As Mark and I keep telling each other, this will be quite an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment